Tuesday, September 30, 2014

30 Day Reflection: Just Say No

This is the 30th day in a 30 day challenge from Teach Thought.

Day 30: What would you do (as a teacher) if you weren’t afraid?


What would I do if I wasn't afraid? I would say "no" more often.
 
No. I won't add another test to my students' schedule just because you need "data" to prove that I am teaching. I consider it malpractice, actually.

No. I won't fill out more paperwork to prove that I am teaching. You are free to walk into my room and see my classroom in person.

No. I won't let you be disrespectful to me. I am a professional and deserve to be treated accordingly, especially since I am never disrespectful to you.

No. I won't do more with less. Please don't act like it is my duty as a teacher to continue to sacrifice my finances, health, and time without compensation.

No. I won't be chastised for someone else's carelessness. Please go speak directly to that individual.

No. I won't lie to my students that this mandated activity (survey, test, etc.) will have some importance to their future.

No. I won't pick up the slack for you. You earn the same pay that I do. Why should I work extra because you won't or can't do your job?

No. I am not crazy for wanting to teach high school students. It's what I love to do. Stop insulting my choice of career and be thankful that people like me exist.

No. Teaching isn't my "fallback" job. I didn't go into teaching because I couldn't hack it in some other important career.

Who knows? Maybe I will learn to say "no" more this year. It might be time to conquer my fear.


 


1 comment:

  1. This entry resonated with me! All teachers should say "no" more often - or rather, responsible teachers. Too many of the slack teachers DO say "no" which is why we don't. Adminstrators rely on those who never say 'no' and our sense of responsibility towards our students, who we know are the ones who will suffer (except for the extra testing example), and they take advantage of that.

    ReplyDelete