Thursday, September 11, 2014

30 Day Reflection: The Small Moments

This is the 11th day in a 30 day challenge from Teach Thought

Day 11: What is your favorite part of the school day and why?

My favorite part of the school day is the 45 minutes before the first bell rings. This is the time of day that students wander in and out of my room freely.  They chatter about their weekends, talk excitedly about the ballgame tonight, or moan loudly about how they have too much homework.  

Some of them come because they need a quiet place to study. Others come to share with me the latest book they are reading. Some students come to raid my refrigerator or to see if I have candy or gum they can have.

This is the time of day that students come in and ask me if I would write a college recommendation or sign their student council petitions. Sometimes they will ask me to listen to their new favorite song or Internet radio station.

Most students wander in and out in a matter of minutes, but sometimes a student will linger and I know that they need something more from me than a quick interaction. That is when I have the opportunity to listen, encourage, and highlight a student's options.

These small moments are why I became a teacher. It's within these moments that I think I am fulfilling my calling as a teacher. I love teaching literature and writing, but I love teaching students more.

No comments:

Post a Comment