Sunday, September 21, 2014

30 Day Reflection: Nerdy Teacher Fun

This is the 21st day in a 30 day challenge from Teach Thought.

 
Day 21: Do you have other hobbies/interests that you bring into your classroom teaching? Explain.

My three hobbies are reading, quilting, and gardening. I don't often have an opportunity to bring up quilting or gardening in the classroom, but I do incorporate my hobby of reading everyday.

Since I teach high school students, I spend some of my reading time on young adult literature. My main reason for reading YA lit is to have recommendations for my students who don't like to read. I want to promote a love of reading to my students and knowing what is hot in young adult lit is one way I can do that.
  
Also, YA lit is a great way to forge relationships with students. Throughout the year, students wander into my room and borrow books from my shelves. We talk about what books they are reading and give one another book recommendations. These conversations continue long after students leave my classroom. Students come back to visit from college and let me know what books they are reading. Many of them laugh about the books they used to read and tell me about the more mature books they have discovered in college.

My reading hobby is easy to bring into the classroom. It's one of the easiest ways I can connect with my students, and sometimes, match a book to a new reader. That's the best nerdy teacher fun I can have.  




No comments:

Post a Comment