Friday, September 26, 2014

30 Day Reflection: My Favorite (Professional) Things

This is the 26th day in a 30 day challenge from Teach Thought.

Day 26:What are your three favorite go-to sites for help/tips/resources in your teaching?

These are a few of my favorite things...

Twitter
I have praised Twitter before as a professional development source, but it really is my go-to site. I can pose a question to my PLN and get responses within minutes. Twitter has helped me reduce the hunt for resources. My teaching Tweeps offer thoughtful, honest reflection on their teaching. The resources they direct me to are teacher-tested. On most Thursday nights at 8 p.m. EST, you can find me on #KyEdChat learning from my wonderful Kentucky colleagues.

Blogs
I am still a relative newbie in the blogging world, and consider myself more of a lurker than a blogger, but blogs are one of my favorite sources of teaching ideas. There are too many blogs for me to list, but I tend to focus on blogs that deal with teaching literacy, literature, and writing.

English teacher gurus I stalk, uh, follow.
I discovered Jim Burke's work when I became a literacy coach in 2009. I have been reading his books, blogs, Twitter feed, and website ever since. He has wonderful, practical tips and tools for the teaching literacy.  

I found Kelly Gallagher's work when I was teaching all senior English classes in 2006 and I was looking for strategies to help teach writing. I frequently pull out my copies of his books that I tabbed and re-read sections often. On his website, my two favorite resources are his Article of the Week and Kelly's Lists.




No comments:

Post a Comment