Tuesday, September 9, 2014

30 Day Reflection: When the Magic Happens

This is the 9th day in a 30 day challenge from Teach Thought.


Day 9:  Write about one of your biggest accomplishments in your teaching that no one knows about (or may not care).

I suppose I could write about one of my leadership, educational, or pedagogical accomplishments, but really that isn't what I consider my biggest accomplishment in teaching. And, quite frankly, those accomplishments are not nearly as interesting as what I consider my true biggest accomplishment.

My true biggest accomplishment is when the magic happens. The magic is that unquantifiable moment when you make a connection with a student. Every teacher knows what I mean when I say "magic". We sometimes live off of these magical moments when we have tough days in the classroom. The magic is what makes all of the paperwork, hall duty, meetings, getting cussed out, and  exhaustion worth it.

It's when you get through to a student that has driven you crazy all year long. It's when they stand up and tell the class to settle down (or something close to that) because they are trying to listen to what the teacher has to say.

It's the look they give you when they realize that they CAN do what you have been asking them to do. It's the look they have when they realize that anything is possible and maybe, just maybe, they can do something important in life.

It's when a student who has struggled to write a paragraph all year, walks up to you and hands you a page of  their writing and excitedly asks if you would read it and let them know what you think.

It's when a student dressed in cap and gown, diploma in hand, bear hugs you and introduces you to his parents.

It's because of the magic that I keep teaching. I suppose when the magic is gone, I need to retire.


3 comments: