Wednesday, September 24, 2014

30 Day Reflection: PBL=A Mess I Love

This is the 24th day in a 30 day challenge from Teach Thought.

Day 24: Which learning trend captures your attention the most, and why? (Mobile learning, project-based learning, game-based learning, etc.)

The learning trend that "captures my fancy" the most is project-based learning (PBL). PBL provides a platform for teachers to work closely with students who are engaged in a high-quality, challenging task. 

Students remember their PBL projects long after they complete them. More importantly, the learning transfers to other content areas and units. In other words, they retain the learning. Since most PBL is experiential, students are learning by doing and not simply to take a test or get a grade.

My experiences with Genius Hour have shown me that students who were apathetic in the regular classroom setting can approach a PBL task with wonder, determination, and professionalism. That excites me as a teacher. Actually, it sometimes makes me downright giddy. Ask my colleagues who have to hear me gush about my students' latest projects.

The work is messy. Strangely, that is my favorite part of PBL. I love that students have to think, problem solve, navigate group dynamics, and meet deadlines. Sounds a lot like life, doesn't it.

I know if my students can handle failure within the four walls of my classroom, they will be able to handle it in life. That lesson is more important than whether or not they remember every detail of the short story we are reading in class, don't you think? 


No comments:

Post a Comment