Tuesday, September 16, 2014

30 Day Reflection: Superpower

This is the 16th day in a 30 day challenge from Teach Thought

Day 16: If you could have one superpower to use in the classroom,  what would it be and how will it help?

There is a t-shirt sold at teacher conferences that says "I teach. What's your superpower?" I always laugh when I see it. Sometimes I feel that teaching is my superpower. I like the suggestion that I am uniquely qualified to teach and that the act of teaching is powerful. In that sense, I guess teaching is my superpower. 

Yet, there are many times when I feel that I am not enough. It's at those times when I wish I had a true superpower. I wish I had the power to clone myself.    This power would come in handy several times throughout the day. 

I could send my clones to help students who are waving their arms frantically while waiting for me to get around to all 30+ students.

If I could clone myself, then I wouldn't have to choose between grading those 170+ essays or responding to parent e-mails. I could send one clone to attend to each task. 

If I had clones, I could send them to attend the after school meetings or trainings while I stay in my room and plan my lessons. Then maybe I could have a meal with my family on a regular basis. 

If I had clones, I could send one in the hall to talk to the upset student while the other me stays in the room and keeps the other students focused. Or I could send them to be the test proctor while I meet with parents to discuss their student's progress. 

It's nice to dream. Since I don't have this superpower, I need to get back to grading essays because I used my planning time to respond to e-mails today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment