Tuesday, September 23, 2014

30 Day Reflection: Beyond the School's Walls

This is the 23rd day in a 30 day challenge from Teach Thought.

Day 23: Write about one way that you “meaningfully” involve the community in the learning in your classroom. If you don’t yet do so, discuss one way you could get started.

Four years ago, I decided to end the year with my sophomores by trying to incorporate all of the speaking and listening, writing, and reading skills into one project-based learning experience. This seemed like a perfect time to attempt this as the students had just completed their end of course exams in April and we still had five weeks left of school. I knew I needed to come up with something that was challenging and engaging for them. Also, I wanted them to have some freedom and choice during the project. Further, I didn't want this to be a project that students could simply "google". I wanted them to conduct research, interview people, and interact with artifacts.

This is when the Be True to Your School project was born. Our high school has an amazing, rich history and many of my sophomores didn't know much about the background of our school. The topic seemed perfect for the project. That first year of the project was a learning experience for all of us. The students determined what they needed and I scrambled to see if I could help them get it. The topics ranged from the school's first year in 1939, to the possible underground tunnels beneath the school, and many famous alumni.

First, the students decided that they needed access to more artifacts from our school's history. They wanted yearbooks, photos, and scrapbooks from the early years. I began asking teachers who had taught for awhile at Lafayette if they had any materials or knew where we could get items. Eventually, this led to the special collections library at the University of Kentucky. A teacher friend arranged for the special collections library to pull materials for my students to look through. I met several students at the library after school one day. It was amazing to see my students racing across the library clutching an old yearbook and whispering "Mrs. McPherson, you gotta see my grandpa's hair. It's hilarious!" For many of my students, this was their first experience combing through artifacts like scrapbooks, yearbooks, and old newspapers.


Next, the students asked if they could talk to alumni. So, I started recruiting former students to come speak to the students. I was able to have 15 different alumni come and speak on three different panels that first year. My favorite panel had a 1942 grad, and a 1973 grad. One of my students asked the panel what was an important cause the graduates were involved with during school. The 1942 grad talked about how there were no boys around because most of them had signed up to fight in World War II. The 1973 grad talked about receiving his draft card for the Vietnam War and how everyone in his class was worried about what would happen to them once graduation came. My students were amazed at the difference in the generations. It was one of those goose bumps moments that teachers sometimes have. I realized my students were getting a glimpse into history that they wouldn't have gotten through a lecture, website, or textbook.

I understand to an outsider that this unit isn't very English-y, but it is a unit my students will remember forever. It's a great way for my students to connect with the community beyond the walls of the school.   


 



No comments:

Post a Comment