Monday, September 15, 2014

30 Day Reflection: Three Strengths

This is the 15th day in a 30 day challenge from Teach Thought

Day 15: Name three strengths you have as an educator.

Flexibility--Being flexible helps me keep my sanity. At any given moment, my carefully, crafted lesson plan can dissolve before my eyes.. Sometimes, I have to adjust within the five minutes I have between classes. Sometimes, I have to adjust mid-sentence when I realize the lesson is all wrong. If a teacher can't be flexible, then he or she will be miserable and, maybe, gray-headed prematurely.

Lifelong Learner--I love to learn about the craft of teaching or my content area. Each year, I realize that I still don't know everything there is to know about teaching, literature, and writing. I keep learning because I am curious and genuinely want to improve my teaching. I attend as many conferences as I can, sign up for as many pilot programs or action-research projects as I can handle, and read as many books as possible.  I do this to learn and grow.

Perseverance--Some people would call this stubbornness. Okay. Mostly my family would say this about me. Whatever the term, I do have a stick-with-it-ness when it comes to reaching students. I don't give up on them. I push, poke, and pull when necessary. I sweet talk, bribe with candy, and forgive, but I don't give up. I show up every day and try again because I don't know when to quit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment