Sunday, October 12, 2014

Time for Change

A few days ago, a colleague and I were catching one another up on our lives. Since our children are close in age, the conversation inevitably turned toward how our children were doing in school. Eventually, we began to talk about how little money we both have been able to save for our children's college fund.

That's when my friend said something that stunned me. This friend said she would support her kids doing anything in college except becoming a teacher. If her kids wanted to become a teacher, then they were on their own financially. She went on to give very detailed reasons why she didn't want her children to become teachers. 

I understood her point of view. I agreed with many of her points: little professional development and resources, too little pay for too much work, ever-changing expectations, little personal time, and little opportunity for advancement (monetarily or position-wise). At the time, I couldn't offer much in the way of an argument. Even now, as I type this blog rather than grade the stack of papers sitting in my school bag, I feel guilty. And, I know that by not working on school work outside of regular school hours, I will continue to be behind in my work until Winter Break. You can read more about how I think we should rethink teacher time here.

This job is demanding and requires a specific skill set and a growth mindset. Contrary to public opinion, not everyone is qualified to be a teacher. Also, contrary to public opinion, there are many more caring, strong teachers than there are uncaring, weak ones. I know there are many improvements to be made in public education. I understand the cons of the job very well. 

Yet, I am excited that two of my own children wish to be teachers. I feel proud when I hear them say that they want their own classroom someday. I love my job, even on days when it is tough. I consider it a calling. I tell my children that, too. This isn't a job for the faint-hearted. Don't go into this profession if you don't love students. You won't stay very long if you aren't in it for the students.

It bothers me that parents might not encourage their children to choose teaching. Or worse yet, our best and brightest students will automatically pass over a teaching major because it isn't seen as a viable career.

That's why I try to be involved in changing the system. I join organizations like Hope Street Group, KEA, and NCTE.  I serve on advisory boards like the Bill and Melinda Gates Teacher Advisory Council.  I write letters and e-mails to my legislators. I tweet. I connect. I speak up. I volunteer for projects like Literacy Design Collaborative and Common Assignment Study. I got my National Board Certification.  I spend my Saturdays attending and presenting at conferences. I do all of these activities, so that I can be involved in shaping the profession. 

I am just stubborn and optimistic enough to think that the current system can be changed for the better. I want to be a part of that, especially if my own children will be working in the system in 10- 12 years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment