Sunday, September 7, 2014

30 Day Reflection: Inspiring Teacher Friends

Day 7: Who was or is your most inspirational colleague, and why?

This is the 7th day in a 30 day challenge from Teach Thought.

It is really difficult to pick one inspirational colleague, so I am going to talk about the many awesome folks I work with everyday.

My colleagues are amazing. I am lucky enough to work in a high school where the faculty and staff act like family. We celebrate when one of us has a victory and we rally around those who are facing trying times.

Several of my colleagues are cancer survivors. They have overcome incredible physical exhaustion, pain, and sickness and returned to their classrooms. Those teachers often remind me to make sure that I get regular cancer screenings and take care of myself.

It's not uncommon for a teacher in my building to take up a collection to help a student in need. Teachers have chipped in to buy mattresses, prom dresses, electric wheelchairs, and clothing for our students.

There is one colleague who spends her summer without pay decorating each bulletin board in our building. She makes sure each bulletin board is unique and beautiful. 

There are colleagues who volunteer their time to sponsor a club. They spend their own money to keep the club funded, feed students after school, or make sure students can attend club trips.

When I was seriously ill and was off from work recovering, four of my colleagues brought me meals.  Another time, after having wrist surgery, a colleague volunteered to enter my grades for me, while yet another one took home my papers and graded them for me.

There are many teachers in my building who feel passionately about improving education in our state. They serve on committees at the state and national level. They write blogs and testify in front of our General Assembly to ensure that policy makers don't forget our students.

Every day my colleagues show up. They love on our students. They hold them accountable. They push them. They encourage our students to do better, keep trying, and reach for a future beyond the walls of our building.

I couldn't ask for a better group of people to work with. That's why I can't just pick one to talk about.








2 comments:

  1. Love this - amen and amen! Lafayette is a GREAT place to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Liz. It was fun to brag on my colleagues today. Great place to work, indeed!

    ReplyDelete