Friday, September 5, 2014

30 Day Reflection: Room 218

 
Day 5: Post a picture of your classroom, and describe what you see--and what you don't see that you'd like to.


This is the 5th day in 30 day challenge from Teach Thought.
                                      
                                             


Welcome to room 218. If you peer into the room you will see my modified version of a U desk arrangement. I like this arrangement for class discussion. Also, this arrangement seems to work well in tighter, smaller classrooms. If I had my wishes, I would add about 20 square feet onto my room so that I could have room to arrange my tables in a large square.

At the back of the room, there is a tall book case that houses supplies that my students use: post-it notes, dry erase markers, colored pencils, highlighters, and notebook paper. This summer I discovered Washi tape, so I freshened up the bookcase. On the top of the bookcase, are things that I have acquired over the past 14 years of teaching. Most of the items are common, but have sentimental value to me. There is Clifford the Big Red Dog from my first reading conference, a stuffed killer whale from when our faculty read the book Whale Done, a stuffed duck from my visit to Seattle while working on the Common Assignment project, a couple of nameplates and plaques from friends and a set of minions. These items are great conversation starters with students.

In the back corner is my desk. This year I reduced my teacher space in half. I needed as much floor space as possible for my students.  My desk faces a window because I love natural light. If I could figure out how to keep a houseplant alive, I would add one to my desk area. On my desk are photos of my family and small notes that students have given me over the year. These items are crucial on those tough days.

On the windows, I added pretty red cafe' curtains because I wanted to add a homey touch to the room. On the walls, I have an assortment of posters and artwork. The picture in the gold frame belonged to Ms. Thelma Beeler, a wonderful teacher who taught at Lafayette in the very room I am teaching now. The picture is of George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette. The other picture in the room is of a zebra, my favorite animal, and its reflection. This picture was given to me by a another wonderful teacher at Lafayette, Ms. Jo Warren, when she retired. If I had my wish, I would have more artwork and less posters in my room. I think the artwork lessons the institutional feel of the classroom.

So, that's a quick glimpse into 218. It's just missing one major component--the students. If I could, I would post a picture of all 167 of my students. After all, they are the reasons for the room, the desks, and the supplies.

Without them, it is just a room.
 
 



2 comments:

  1. I really like this post. The curtains do add a wonderful, homey touch. I have trouble keeping plants alive, too. I would love to have real ones, but this year I am going for artificial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, I love the idea of an artificial plant. I am pretty sure I couldn't kill plastic. :)

    ReplyDelete