Saturday, August 18, 2012

Teaching. It's Personal.

My thirteenth year of teaching officially began August 15th.  I excitedly stood outside my classroom door and greeted all of my students--probably a bit too exuberantly for my still-sleepy high school students. It was an important first interaction with them.

This practice seems like such a small thing--to greet them positively at the door each day. Yet, I have found that it is a really important part of creating a healthy classroom environment. For me, teaching is personal. Getting to know my students is a major part of classroom success during the school year. This short interaction between classes is an opportunity I can't afford to miss.

 Likewise, I strive to learn my students' names as soon as possible. My goal is to know all of their names after the first three days of class.  I use whiteboard name tents and ask the students to draw or write something down that will help me remember them. As the students are working, I walk around and interact with them, asking lots of questions. The students laugh when they catch me repeating their names over and over as they work.  Then I ask students to come up to me in the hallway and quiz me. It's a game the students enjoy every year. 

Another important part of creating a positive classroom environment is connecting to my students outside of the classroom.  Throughout the school year I attend my students games, performances, and awards ceremonies. Students and their families really appreciate it when I show up with my family in tow.

The connections I make with my students helps them trust me and recognize that I care about them. That connection helps them persevere in my class when I ask them to do tough work. It helps them hear my voice in the hallway when they are about to make a bad choice. It helps them receive my instruction, correction, and redirection. It is why students will do their best on the state-mandated tests when they would rather draw hand turkeys.

Teaching isn't only about what happens in the classroom. It's personal. I have already begun laying the ground work for this year. I can't wait to get to get to know my students as the year goes on.




No comments:

Post a Comment