Saturday, August 11, 2012

Keeping My Teaching Chops

Years ago during my undergrad work in theater education, my friends and I would comment on whether a particular actor had "acting chops" or specific abilities needed to be successful as an actor. This term was thrown out often in our circle. We talked about how we could hone our acting chops--frequent auditions, workshops and performances. 

Similarly, I think teachers have teaching chops--specific skills needed to be an effective teacher. Each year, as the beginning of a school year draws near I wonder if I still have my teaching chops. Will magic occur in my classroom this year? Will students learn and grow under my teaching? Will I learn and grow this year?

Since I am a reflective teacher, I realize that I need to hone my teaching practice in order to keep my teaching chops. Yes, I believe I naturally have some skills for teaching--organization, creative thinking, and leadership. Still, there are other skills that I need to develop further. I do this in three ways: participate in a community of learners, strive to be a life-long learner, and reflect on my practice.

Participate in a Community of Learners
With the PLC (Professional Learning Community) movement in my district a few years ago, I gained a built-in community of learners. The PLC is a key component to our professional development plan each year.  At first, we were quite reluctant. After all, we are high school teachers and are not used to collaborative planning. We were used to being isolated. We were sure this wouldn't work. We were wrong.

Soon we came to value the PLC time and have even asked for more time built into the day to work with our colleagues.  The PLC system isn't without fault, but it is far better than planning in isolation.  I have learned from colleagues who have taught 20+ years and those who are fresh out college. The conversations we have are powerful, important, an invigorating.

If your school/district district doesn't have a system like this. Create one.  Gather some like-minded colleagues together and become a community. 

Strive to be a Life-long Learner
One thing that is certain in teaching is that things are going to change.  Teachers must learn to adapt to the changes. Sometimes that means researching new teaching techniques on your own. Sometimes, it means that you will become the expert in your building and train others.

Every day, I learn from my students. I love it when a student has an insight that I hadn't thought about. I love how honest my students are when I ask them "What went well today? What could we do differently?" Students seem to like my classroom better when they realize that they can teach me something as well.

There is so much to learn in this profession. I have often said that when I feel like there is nothing else to learn, I need to move on.
 
Reflect on My Practice
Reflection keeps me fresh. It is crucial to my not only surviving, but also thriving in this profession.
Reflection keeps me from being stuck in an ineffective pattern. I need to identify what went well, and figure out what adjustments need to be made before the next class. Sometimes this reflection happens in the moment when I realize that a student isn't understanding a concept I am teaching. Sometimes, this reflection happens at the end of the year when I am struggling with my own motivation.

Reflection gives me the opportunity to remember what I love about teaching.  It gives me the opportunity to figure out why I continue to teach certain units. Is it because the unit is worth teaching or because I don't know what else to do? 

I must reflect in order to change or make improvements in my teaching.

So tonight, I am wondering if I still have my teaching chops.  It is what I wonder every year.  This wondering keeps me collaborating, learning, and reflecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment